How can you tell if your immunity is weakened?
These questions will give you a clue.
Reading time: 4 minutes
Especially in spring, when the changing weather adds to all the above, it is common to fall victim to various illnesses, viruses or flus. The common denominator is usually a weakened immunity. But it can also come from other problems that you may not even be aware of. Find out how your immune system is doing and how you can strengthen its functioning.
What is natural immunity and how does it work?
Immunity refers to our body's defences. The main role of the immune system is to protect the body against pathogens and antigens in the form of different types of bacteria, viruses, foreign substances, parasites or also altered cells (tumour cells) in our body. In other words, all negative influences, both external and internal, that can cause the body to become weak, ill or even dead.
The immune system is essentially divided into two categories: specific and non-specific. Non-specific immunity is innate and less adaptable. It is provided by the skin, mucous membranes, stomach (barriers preventing the penetration of bacteria), white blood cells capable of phagocytosis (absorption of foreign particles), interferons (proteins that prevent viruses from multiplying).
Specific immunity is targeted and adaptive. It is provided by T and B lymphocytes, which form targeted antibodies that fight infections and cells altered by tumours. They also play a major role in immunological memory, which is applied in vaccination.
The most common symptoms and causes of weakened immunity
Weakened immunity is not something that happens overnight. It is usually a combination of a number of symptoms and situations that occur over time.
Which are the most common?
- fatigue and sleepiness
- feeling that "something is going on in your head
- getting sick with strep throat, colds and flu several times a year
- stomach and bowel problems
- lack of appetite
- eczema, cold sores, skin rashes
- poor healing of wounds, etc.
What are the main causes of weakened immunity?
- unhealthy diet, poor diet composition
- lack of exercise
- prolonged stress
- lack of sleep
- smoking, alcohol
- unsuitable and unhealthy living environment
- certain types of medication, etc.
How can you tell if your immunity is weak with a few questions?
We have prepared some questions that can tell you how your immune system is doing. Try to answer all these questions honestly and be as honest as possible with yourself.
- Do you wake up tired in the morning?
- Do you suffer from insomnia?
- Do you feel constantly tense?
- Do you have to deal with a lot of stressful situations on a daily basis and do you feel uncomfortable in this position?
- Have you been ill more than 3 times this year?
- Do you suffer from stomach or intestinal problems or a lack of appetite?
- Do you have one day without sports activity at least 4 times a week?
- Do you not have time to eat breakfast?
- Do you eat less than 3 balanced meals a day?
- Do you eat less than 4 portions of fresh vegetables and fruit a day?
- Do you suffer from frequent infections, asthma or inflammation?
- Do you smoke?
- Do you drink alcohol several times a week?
If you answer yes to more than half of the questions, you need to think about changes that could rebalance your immune system. If you want to be 100% sure about the state of your immunity, it is of course advisable to consult a doctor and have a thorough laboratory examination.
What helps weakened immunity?
Generally speaking, our immune system reflects our lifestyle. If we want to maintain good health, we need to focus mainly on a healthy diet and regular exercise. It is absolutely essential to provide the body with all the necessary nutrients, minerals and vitamins. To help you do this you can also try our natural ImunoBran immunity boosting food supplements, some of which contain a blend of really beneficial ingredients and will adequately complement your diet.
Of course, it is also important to learn how to better manage stressful situations, to work on a healthy mind in a healthy body and to remember to get enough rest and sleep.